Saturday, November 13, 2010

Jaxton's Arrival!! WARNING: Blog post overload

WARNING: Long story enclosed

Well Jaxton is finally here! I went in for my 37 week doc apt dilated to a 5 and my Dixie sent me home expecting a call any minute being in labor. But still no luck! So I went back in for another appt Wednesday and I was dilated to an 8 and 90% effaced. So my membranes were ruptured and I was sent to the hospital to have this baby!

I walked into the hospital and saw my cousin. She asked what we’re doin and I just said, “Umm, I’m in labor.” They probably don’t get pregnant women walking in the front door calmly telling them they’re in labor too often. I admitted myself with the fact I was going to be having a baby still not sunken in. They put me in a delivery room and I asked for my epidural right away before it got too late (since I was already so dilated). I wanted to see the needle but the anesthesiologist kept it out of view. The epidural wasn't as bad as I expected. The injection they gave me before to numb it hurt worse. Dixie then came and broke my water. I expected the contractions to get a lot worse after that...but I still wasn't experiencing any pain.

We waited about 4 more hours for me to dilate from an 8 to a 10 and this is where I thought I'd use my breathing patterns I learned in the one prenatal class I was able to go to. Nope--I ended up sleeping to get my energy up. I was told over and over how lucky I was to not have any labor pains. I could tell when I was close to a 10 because I was starting to feel what felt like menstrual cramps-not bad tho. The nurse came in and told me I was finally at a 10 and that we were going to start pushing...wow! Am I ready for this? Can I handle this? Is this really happening? Were some of the thoughts that were running thru my head. I still couldn’t believe at that point I was having a baby—right then!

I was nervous this was going to hurt once I started pushing so I used my epidural button for the first time and I couldn't feel a thing! So when the contractions came they'd ask if I could feel them so we could push but I couldn't feel a thing. After it wore off a little it was just right to where I could feel when to push but still didn't have pain.

I was running on 3 hours of sleep from the night before and was extremely exhausted between contractions. I felt like I could fall asleep and was light-headed between them. But somehow found the energy to finish the job. It helped having my husband as my coach counting for me and telling me I could do it. He was great thru the whole thing and couldn’t have been more helpful—even tho I changed my mind in the split of a second wanting a wet rag on my forehead one minute and swatting Ty’s hand away the next. He also had some pretty dumb comments that the nurses and I laughed about after.

I pushed for 2 hours and everything went well until the last push when he came out and ripped my insides out pretty much. I tore to a degree 4 (out of 4) which is where 2 becomes one (use your imagination because that’s all I’ll say). I got over 100 stitches. They called it a vaginal C-section.

He was born November 3rd at 8:19 pm. He weighed 6 lbs and 13 oz and was 19 inches long. Even tho he was 3 weeks early he is perfect in every way. He’s got his dad’s features but my nose. A few fun facts about him are: he hates getting his diaper changed and taking baths (2 things that makes him cold). He picked up nursing pretty well and is a good eater and he still gets hiccups multiple times a day :)

I thought I could handle not having my mom or anyone stay with us since the nights in the hospital weren’t too bad and he is a good boy during the day…but boy was I wrong! The first night I didn’t get to bed until 5:00 am! He would moan and fuss a little and I thought he needed to eat so I would feed him every hour. He had 4 poopy diapers and pooped on the bed and couch and peed on the couch twice. Then the next morning he peed on my mom. Obviously having a boy is a lot different than anything my family is used to haha! We tried the 2nd night on our own too thinking since my milk came in he’d be better—wrong! At 3:00 am Ty and I sat on the couch just holding him as he lay awake looking around. He just likes to be held close and feel your warmth.

No one really tells you how bad it hurts when your milk comes in or to nurse. I had dry cracked nipples, laying on my side hurt from pressure of the bed or my arm laying on them, and I was constantly dripping! Tyson, on the other hand, LOVED it! Since my milk came in overnight, the first thing he asked me the next day was if I got a boob job (but was joking with me). I grew a few cup sizes (but went down after my milk regulated--OUCH!).

Beyond all the complications and unexpected situations, being a mom is the best thing I have ever experienced. Tyson and I have absolutely loved having Jaxton here with us and couldn’t imagine life without him. He brings such joy to our family and we’re excited to watch him grow!
Minutes old
Our Happy Family

My boys!

Bath time
This is my favorite picture of him!

I LOVE his expression in this one :) so confused!

Daisy is so funny with him, every time he makes a noise she runs over to make sure he's ok and she's always near him protecting him it seems like. She's a good big sis :)


Jaxton and cousin Peyton

13 comments:

AB said...

Lana I have been waiting for this blog post of Jaxton. He is soooo cute! I can't believe he is here already. What a good looking family you guys are! Congratulations!!

-Afton

Adam and Dev said...

I was so excited to read about your new arrival! He is a little cutie. Being a mom is the best huh :) Once they come, it's hard to remember life without them huh.

I can relate to you on a lot of things right now (sore chest—it gets SOO much better with time I promise—having a son and getting peed on haha, living with two boys...) funny huh. Good luck with everything and keep us updated! :)

Adam & Emily said...

Lana, seriously he is so adorable!! You look so good and I know you are such a good Mom. Keep posting pictures of baby Jaxton!

J♥M said...

Congratulations!!!!!! He's perfect in every way! I sure hope that you get healed up ok and that this week is better!

Snarrs said...

Ok officially never giving birth after reading your post. I hope your healing well! Your baby is adorable! I want to meet him soon!

Nancy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this post. I remember talking to Linzee before she got married and warning her about all the surprises, especially all those little things people don't really talk about or don't think to warn you about. I figure there are a whoollllleeee bunch of those with having a baby including that whole nursing thing. That doesn't sound fun :(

Your family picture looks perfect and complete. It's crazy to imagine Jaxton NOT being a part of it because he already fits in so well.

You guys look great. I'm so happy for you! When can I come down and meet him??

Landon and Stephanie said...

Congrat's you guys!! He is so cute! We hope everything is going well for you guys!! Good luck with everything!

Carly said...

Congrats!!!! Things will be rough for a bit but you will pick it up. He's so cute and I'm glad everythign went well for you.

m & m burt said...

Lana congratulations you're a baby's mama! What a handsome little guy he is. I am a little frightened of giving birth now but so happy for you guys! Congratulations! xoxo Meghan

Unknown said...

YAY!!! He is such a doll!;) Congrats to you both and I am so happy I ogt to meet the lil' guy! He has the BEST parents!;) I hope all is going well, and if you need ANYTHING, don't hesitate to call!
love ya
tash

Sean, Collette, and Ryler said...

He is adorable and I'm so glad that you didn't have any pain from contractions or anything cause it is the WORST so you so lucky but I'm glad all is well and that you love being a mom cause it is awesome Congratulations. He is so cute.

JaRelle Bailey said...

He really is a handsome little thing. I can't wait to see him this week! Love you guys!

Tyson and Lana Hansen said...

Gee thanks everyone! We kinda like him :) I think we'll keep him! I really didn't mean to scare everyone! I thought I was doing the opposite! Labor & delivery was nothin-it's just the aftermath, but goes away quick! And SOOOOOOO worth it!